PTO Recruiting Advantage or Disadvantage with Candidates?

• PTO Recruiting Advantage or Disadvantage with Candidates?

• Erin Brooks

July 13, 2021 at 9:02 am Company: Trane Technologies
    17 Points

I hope everyone had a great weekend! I wanted to ask the community about what you all are currently seeing with candidates you are making offers to in regards to Paid Time Off.

What is your current company PTO policy? Are you finding that you are having a hard time landing candidates due to their current vacation policies being higher in their current company? If so, do you negotiate with them on that piece, and if so how?

The market is so competitive right now and I just wanted to get a pulse to see what other recruiters out there are finding in regards to PTO. Any details you can provide here would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

• Melissa Thompson

July 14, 2021 at 8:50 am Company: Nielsen
    160 Points

We are not seeing this as an issue. We have unlimited PTO for exempt professionals, so that may be the reason.

• Lisa Rodriguez

July 14, 2021 at 8:57 am Company: Quadient
    145 Points

We typically see exempt employees requesting 3 weeks of vacation, in contrast to the 2 weeks offered. PTO is not a huge struggle but when it does come up, we have had negotiations happen where candidates have asked for the additional week and typically, it is approved. Typically we find compensation more of an issue, than PTO.

• Roger Coker

July 14, 2021 at 9:00 am Company: All Native Group
    46 Points

I see us lose candidates occasionally because we only offer 2 weeks vacation and only allow negotiation at the Exec. levels. We also offer 6 days separate Sick Leave per year and 11 paid Holidays. I’m very interested in this topic and hope many companies will respond. Thanks for starting this topic.

• Rob Dromgoole

July 14, 2021 at 9:10 am Company: Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma
    223 Points

Yes. We struggle to fill Part-time roles because they largely lack any paid time off at all. Candidates demand full-time positions that offer benefits. We surveyed about 1,000+ of our applicants and found that 85% want time off and benefits. Keep in mind, most of my roles are hourly non-exempt but time off matters. Cashiers, servers and janitors are far less likely to apply without benefits/vacation.

• Roger Coker

July 14, 2021 at 9:24 am Company: All Native Group
      46 Points

Rob, how much PTO (vacation/sick/Holiday) to you offer exempt employees? I’m particularly curious in your benefits since we both work for Native American Tribal owned companies.

• Russ Jipson

July 14, 2021 at 11:01 am Company: Quantum Health
    105 Points

For the managers and above we have unlimited PTO so it’s not on our radar there. For the non-exempt roles we offer 15 days plus 7 paid holidays and they can use it after they have been here for 30 days. We are starting to see a small trend of 20 days (4 weeks) be more common at that level but it’s not fully vetted.

• Brad Cook

July 14, 2021 at 1:41 pm Company: Intuitive Surgical
    245 Points

not seeing an issue, we have a very low PTO rate anyway and its an issue, but folks usually just have a back office agreement to be able to take extra time off as needed. We haven’t lost candidates from it though. May depend on industry. From tech it was mostly unlimited PTO. MedTech not there yet.

• Kourtnee Kaauwai

July 14, 2021 at 2:52 pm Company: E & J Gallo Winery
    47 Points

Hi Erin,

We offer 4 weeks of PTO starting out (ups to 5 weeks after 5 years of service) and don’t have an issue with PTO. Our biggest challenges right now are remote work and/or requests for more telecommuting opportunities.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now