Training to increase diverse networking (and referrals)

• Training to increase diverse networking (and referrals)

• Marc Cochran

April 17, 2021 at 8:11 am Company: Trane Technologies

Is anyone doing any, or know of, training in the area of intentional diversity networking. Our data shows that referrals are less diverse and we know normal human behavior drives people to network with those most like them, and share openings more immediately with them. For some, this is an unconscious bias, which we do training on but I’m looking to try and find specific training for our managers on how to approach networking with an intentional diversity mindset, to do more with potential candidates outside what they have traditionally known. Thanks in advance!

• Mary Brogan

April 22, 2021 at 11:10 am Company: Marsh McLennan

Following…would be very interested in feedback.

• Kim Thomas

April 22, 2021 at 1:13 pm Company: Intuitive Surgical
    57 Points

Following!

• Chris Hoyt

Organizer
    April 22, 2021 at 1:35 pm Company: CXR

Following…

But I wonder if there are any internal resources at some of our companies that would be interested in chiming in… Really active ERG’s might have something like this in place – even if informally.

I’ll ping a few folks externally in my network to see if there’s any resources easily available on the topic.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 4 weeks ago by  Chris Hoyt. Reason: Hit "post" too soon. 🙂
  • Lianne Mason

April 23, 2021 at 9:10 am Company: Otis

Would definitely be keen to see what feedback you get…

• Nikki Soares

April 23, 2021 at 11:51 am
    23 Points

We have an inclusive recruiting playbook that outlines roles and responsibilities for recruiters, hiring managers, and hr partners at each stage of the recruiting process. It includes things like:

– simplifying the job description and removing biased language (we use Textio)

– thinking of adjacent industries/technologies/products to broaden the qualified talent pool

– selecting a diverse interview team

– utilizing partnerships the company has with diversity-focused organizations

– pushing the referral program

– requiring diverse interview slates

– conducting a good debrief session focused on competencies

• Nikki Soares

April 23, 2021 at 11:53 am
      23 Points

We also have training for hiring managers on how to be a talent scout that walks through their responsibility to always be on the hunt for talent. It gives guidance on building their LinkedIn profile, identifying diverse organizations/groups and engaging with talent.

• Marc Cochran

April 23, 2021 at 11:56 am Company: Trane Technologies

Part of the origination of this question/idea, came from this article on the ex-CEO from LinkedIn. LinkedIn CEO Steps Down To Focus On Increasing Network Diversity (forbes.com) It’s worth a read. Keep the thoughts coming. Any help is appreciated and I’ll share if I do find anything.

• Glenn Gutmacher

April 23, 2021 at 6:54 pm Company: State Street Corporation
    69 Points

The Jeff Weiner article you linked to has some good ideas, but I’m surprised he didn’t mention this one which leverages LinkedIn: get your hiring team together to review the results for a search URL you craft in advance which specifically returns 1st and 2nd degree results of the kind of talent they need. Also craft in advance a template — in 1st and 2nd degree versions (which they can edit) — to use for outreach to the results. Remind them not to contact just the people they know are great, but also if they see someone they’re unsure about, give him/her the benefit of the doubt and reach out. That will increase diverse submits.

• Cathy Henesey

April 25, 2021 at 10:24 am Company: AdventHealth

@nikki-soares Would you be willing to share your playbook? or perhaps share in a larger forum ?

• Marc Cochran

April 25, 2021 at 11:20 am Company: Trane Technologies

I’d love to set up a collab call or working session for those interested. @barb can you help do this?

• Phil Hendrickson

April 25, 2021 at 3:10 pm
    38 Points

Hey Marc –

This may not be spot on to the question, regarding “training” but I recall a very effective strategy we used at Starbucks. Simply, on a weekly basis, I sent our top ten diversity priority jobs to the leaders of our diversity ENG’s (employee networking groups). It was called the Jobs Spotlight e-mail. The leaders of the ENG’s would forward that e-mail to their group members which were private, which is why I didn’t send it to them directly. This essentially put these priority jobs in front of very diverse groups of employees who could also share and forward them to their personal networks and friends. It was easy, they didn’t have to hunt for the jobs on our career-site.

Each job in my Jobs Spotlight e-mail was hyperlinked so the recipients could just click the job to apply. The embedded hyperlink included a “Jobs Spotlight” source code that was also source in Taleo our ATS.

Diversity Priority Jobs were defined by our legal and compliance teams: the business unit diversity did not reflect the diversity of the local talent marketplace for these roles. So it was not just the arbitrary seeking of diverse talent, we were actively seeking to drive diverse applicants to teams that needed them.

I measured which sources produced diverse hires and which did not. The Jobs Spotlight e-mail campaigns were not a large source of hires in overall numbers but the hires they produced were 100% diverse.

Hope that helps a little.

• Brad Cook

April 25, 2021 at 3:55 pm Company: Intuitive Surgical

following.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  Brad Cook.
  • Larry Nash

April 26, 2021 at 6:18 am
    16 Points

@barbruessgmail-com please include me in the call. Thanks!

• Barb Ruess

April 26, 2021 at 1:20 pm Company: CXR

Okay gang – we have a working call set on this topic for Thursday May 13th @1pm Eastern! @marccochran (the one who started the thread) and @nikki-soares (who will share some info about their training playbook) will be participating in this discussion. Open to all current & former CXR members.

Looking forward to hearing some of you share steps you’ve already taken or are planning as well as brainstorming potential ideas.

Details & registration: https://cxr.works/cxr-events/member-alumni-discussion-diversity-networking-training/

• jo weech

April 26, 2021 at 1:48 pm
    11 Points

Would love to be included in the session! I worked at a job two years ago, and they paid a large sum of money for a 3 year subscription where their job postings went out to over a hundred diverse groups. I wish I could remember the name. The company was sold and everyone disbanded.

• Chris Hoyt

Organizer
      April 26, 2021 at 2:03 pm Company: CXR

Hi, Jo!

Glad you chimed in – if you remember who that was, let us know. I think we’ll be reporting back a few findings here in the forums after the connections.

• Roger Coker

April 27, 2021 at 7:29 am Company: All Native Group
        46 Points

I’ve used DirectEmployers Association for years. They handle all our State workforce postings and post our jobs to hundreds of diversity, special interest, and other niche sites, over 3,000 sites at last review.

• Phil Hendrickson

April 26, 2021 at 2:33 pm
      38 Points

Hello Jo –

Like Daniella mentioned, back in the day it was America’s Job Exchange (AJE) and it was the bedrock of most OFCCP compliance job posting strategies. They cross posted to hundreds of diversity boards and state and local job centers. They were acquired.

• Amy Albright

April 28, 2021 at 10:12 am
      18 Points

We use DiversityJobs.com. They are connected with many diverse job search services and organizations. They scrape our jobs and post on all of the affiliate sites.

Viewing 1 - 15 of 23 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

careerxroads
mobile app live chat collaboration sharing networking

For 25 years CareerXroads has been a trusted community for talent acquisition and recruiting professionals. Now, CXR brings the power of networking and collaborating with industry colleagues and peers to the palm of your hand.